Can you accept infidelity from your partner? Are you wondering if your relationship can survive infidelity? Read this article to find out.
What is Infidelity?
Infidelity is the act of being unfaithful to a spouse or other partner. It typically means engaging in sexual or romantic relations with a person other than one’s significant other, breaking a commitment or promise in the act. It is also a violation of a couple’s emotional and/or sexual exclusivity that commonly results in feelings of anger, sexual jealousy, and rivalry.
What each person considers infidelity may differ (e.g., one partner may consider watching pornography or viewing other erotic stimuli as cheating while the other doesn’t, or one partner may perceive infidelity to be only sexual while another believes an emotional affair is as much of a violation).One partner may consider secrecy as cheating while the other does not.
Types of Infidelity
When infidelity occurs in a relationship, it usually falls under a specific category. Categories or types of infidelity includes; physical infidelity, emotional cheating, cyber infidelity, object infidelity, and financial infidelity.
- Physical Infidelity: This is when one has sexual relations or intercourse outside the marriage.
- Emotional infidelity: Emotional attachment or intimacy with another person. Emotional affairs can do as much damage, if not more, to a relationship as a physical affair.
- Cyber Infidelity: Online infidelity is an affair through a digital platform or method, whether text, email, social media or anything else. This cyber-affair could be solely emotional, or they may exchange sensual messages which can simulate a physical affair.
- Object infidelity: An obsession or interest outside of the relationship can result in what is known as an object affair. This is a situation where one partner is more focused on something such as work or their phone, which causes a distraction from the relationship.
- Financial infidelity: Money can become a point of contention for many relationships. If it progresses to the point of financial infidelity, one partner may be deceitful about how much money they earn, how they earn money, how much debt they owe, and how they spend or loan out money. They may even have money hidden away in cash or other bank accounts that their partner doesn’t know about.
What causes people to cheat who they love?
People cheat on their partners for different reasons like;
- When a partner or both partners fall out of love
- Lack of attention
- Committed Issues
- Feeling lonely or neglected by partner
- Feeling unappreciated
- Sexual desire
- Situational reason: Infidelity sometimes happens because a partner was in a situation where the opportunity presented itself. For example, if a person gets drunk with a coworker, there may be a high chance of cheating. Some other factors include: Being in a long-distance relationship
- Anger or Revenge: Sometimes people cheat on their partners as an act of revenge. For example, if one partner has been flirting with a friend or even cheating, the other partner may cheat as well as a form of payback.
Is Infidelity preventable?
YES infidelity is preventable ,When it comes to preventing infidelity, it’s important to have open conversations with your partner about your boundaries for fidelity and what you perceive as infidelity. Communicating early on about your relationship desires and expectations can help prevent bigger problems down the road.
Can a relationship survive infidelity?
YES! A relationship can survive infidelity. However, Infidelity creates instability, loss of trust, and increased conflict in a relationship. For many people, it is hard to think that a relationship can survive infidelity and part of the healing process involves reflecting on what occurred and why. Most importantly, relationships can survive infidelity when both parties are willing to forgive each other, work together on healing and move forward in the relationship.
Infidelity is bad ,it creates room for distrust. Infidelity brings pains to a partner. It can trigger past traumas or be the creation of a new trauma. It’s important to have self respect for oneself and partner. Love is beautiful, Love is to be cherished and not abused. If you do not value your relationship or partner, It is better to let them know or walk out of the the relation than destroying it by cheating.
See a relationship expert or coach if you need advice!
Last Updated on December 13, 2022 by Loveth