Do you snore? Do you know that you can stop snoring? Read this article to learn how to stop snoring!
What does it mean to snore?
When you breath nosily through your nose and mouth while sleeping means you snore.
Snoring is caused by the rattling and vibration of tissues near the airway in the back of the throat. During sleep, the muscles loosen, narrowing the airway, and as we inhale and exhale, the moving air causes the tissue to flutter and make noise like a flag in a breeze. There are factors that causes one to snore ,there are as follows
- Alcohol consumption. Snoring can also be brought on by consuming too much alcohol before bedtime. Alcohol relaxes throat muscles and decreases your natural defenses against airway obstruction.
- Sleep deprivation: Not getting enough sleep can lead to further throat relaxation.
- Sleeping position: Snoring is typically most frequent and loudest when sleeping on the back as gravity’s effect on the throat narrows the airway.
- High blood pressure
- Use of sedative medications
- Jaw that is small or set-back.
How to stop snoring
Most people that snore are not aware that they snore unless someone tell them or they set recorder to know. However, there are ways to stop snoring. There are as follows;
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese are critical risk factors for snoring and sleep apnea, so keeping a healthy weight can be an important step against snoring.
- Adjusting your sleeping position: Sleeping on your back makes it easier for your airway to become obstructed. It may take time to get used to a different position, but it can be a helpful change.
- Food: Foods such as garlic and onion are said to reduce snoring. These particular food help dry up nasal passages and airways which in turn, reduces mucus build-up that blocks your sinus .If sinus blockage is the cause for snoring, you might get relief by using garlic.
- Keep your mouth closed while sleeping.
Is snoring worrisome?
Snoring is a warning sign of obstructive sleep apnea but not every snorer has sleep apnea, and not everyone with sleep apnea snores. Snoring and OSA can lead to serious health risks such as high blood pressure, neurocognitive impairment and arrhymia.
In conclusion, Snoring is a harsh sound that occurs when air flows past relaxed tissues in your throat, causing the tissues to vibrate as you breathe. Most snores are not aware that they snore. snoring can be a nuisance to your partner.
Lifestyle changes, such as losing weight, avoiding alcohol close to bedtime or sleeping on your side, can help stop snoring. You can as well see an otolaryngologist.
You can read our article on easiest way to fall asleep quick
Last Updated on December 7, 2022 by Loveth