Have you heard of OfferUp? Are you aware that there are many scams spring forth in OfferUp? Do you want to know about the various Offerup scams? Read this review to find out more about OfferUp scams.
What is OfferUp Scams
OfferUp is a mobile local marketplace that is some what similar to eBay, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
With over 45 million annual users, OfferUp is one of the top online marketplaces for local buyers and sellers. Its online payment system makes it a bit safer than Craigslist, but there are many scammers looking to prey on unsuspecting users.
Different types of Offerup Scams
Scammers oftentimes create fake websites that looks like the Offerup website, the scammers will then email links to the fake site or will advertise on other websites, social networks and other online locations. Once you (the victim) click on the link to visit the website, the fake website will install malware on your device.
In addition to the malware, the fake OfferUp website will offer fake items on the site to entice you into attempting to purchase these items. When you attempt to buy the item, you’ll arrive at an online payment form, where there are (supposed) options to pay using a wire transfer, gift card or electronic check. You may also be asked for credit card information. And when you give ut such information the scammer would then drain your account.
How to avoid Offerup Scams
- Keep every transaction on the Offerup website
- someone might ask you for your cell phone number to send you a “verification link,” don’t do it. OfferUp does not use verification codes to verify posts.
- Avoid every too good to be true price as they always turn out to be scam.
- Make a research about the sellers before buying from them
- Do not give out personal or financial information about yourself.
- Make sure to report every suspicions so that others don’t get scammed.
- Make sure to secure your password with a strong password and do not share this information with anyone.
From the foregoing, it is clear that so many scammers abound on the Offerup website, users should tread with caution while dealing with anyone there.
I hope this helps!